What is stress?
It is the gap between our expectation and reality. More the gap, more the stress. So expect nothing and accept everything.
Stress is common in modern lifestyles and arises due to an unhappy state of mind due to failure of expectation. This may include pressures from work, family, in ability to achieve unrealistic goals, social pressures and worrying about things that you cannot change. Being under an immense amount of stress can lead to physical and mental issues.
Long or short term stress can contribute to unexplained high BGLs in persons living with diabetes as hormones released due to stress alters BGL directly.
The first step is to recognize the true sources of stress in your life. It could be
- Psychosocial problems such as a family or work problem
- It could be inability to deal with a chronic illness or infection
- Inability to adapt to an ever changing situations
- Set realistic goals and expectations in keeping with your ability.
- Negative thoughts produce stress. Be calm and think positively.
|Healthy ways of coping with stress:
|Unhealthy ways of coping with stress – say no to these